Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How Do You Find Clothing for the Plus Size Woman? Just Ask Monif C. Clarke

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

I was on the phone the other day with a friend of mine who is far more well-known than I'll ever be. We talk about nearly everything under the sun and I find that our friendship bears a great deal of intellectual fruit. One of the interesting things about my friend is that she has a famous body, known specifically for having the kinds of curves that only a black woman can possess. I asked her if all the attention ever bothered her, and she said "No. What bothers me is that I can't find any clothes that fit!"

This conversation re-opened my eyes to the struggles that women of color have when it comes to finding clothes that work with the beautiful look God gave them. I then decided to do a Dr. Boyce AOL Black Voices Profile on Monif C. Clarke, one of the brilliant minds behind Monif C. Plus Sizes, a company that specializes in selling contemporary plus size clothing. Here is what she had to say:

 

Click to read.

1 comment:

  1. Hi can you direct me to the house lam lost l have the room number but lam not see the street my sugarmammy is that wearing black dress lam still look the clarke street but l hope l will find and you help me my number is 0661110891,0724932183,0761977115 yes l will cloth when lam that side lam Stuart masamha

    ReplyDelete