Sunday, July 12, 2009

Black News: Al B Sure Picks up the Mic Again

It's been 17 years since Al B. Sure recorded a studio album. But with the June 23 release of "Honey I'm Home," the singer-songwriter joins a current wave of R&B vets -- including Ginuwine,Teena Marie and Charlie Wilson -- notching strong comebacks.

After debuting at No. 16 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, "Honey" (Hidden Beach Recordings) comes in at No. 49 in the list's most recent week. Meanwhile, the sexy slow jam "I Love It (Papi Aye Aye Aye)," featuring cellist Tina Guo, is No. 26 on Adult R&B.

On "Honey," Sure stayed true to the romantic lane he navigated in the late '80s when he helped usher in theNew Jack Swing era. "This was a fun, creative process of writing and finding songs; no rushed effort," Sure says of the album's gestation. "It allowed me to be me through solid compositions reflecting my feelings."

Focusing on the central themes of love, romance and relationships, the album features 10 original songs written and co-produced by Sure. Also included are two covers: Sting's "Fragile" and Michael Jackson's "TheLady in My Life." Of the latter, Sure says, "I'm just truly in love with the feel and fabric of that song."

 

Click to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment